- About 20 percent of teens will experience teen depression before they reach adulthood.
- About 20% of teens will experience teen depression before they reach adulthood.
- 30% of teens with depression also develop a substance abuse problem.
- Less than 33% of teens with depression get help.
- 80% of teens with depression can be successfully treated if they seek help from a doctor or therapist.
Treatment includes: Talk therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Why do adolescents get depressed? There are multiple reasons why a teenager might become unhappy. Grades, social status with peers, sexual orientation, or family life can each have a major effect on how a teen feels.
Signs of Teen Depression
Preoccupation with death and dying
Use of alcohol or drugs and promiscuous sexual activity
Excessive or inappropriate guilt
Staying awake at night and sleeping during the day
Sadness, anxiety, or a feeling of hopelessness
Why do people get depressed?
There is no single cause for depression. Factors may include genetics, family and social environment, and more.
Depression runs in families. However not everyone who gets depression has the genetic make-up though.
Family & Social Environment
- Negative and stressful atmosphere
- Unhappy family or high stress living situation
- Life events such as death (family, friend or pet) or divorce
- Changing schools
- Undiagnosed learning disabilities
- Hormone changes
- Physical illness
More Symptoms of Depression?
- Depressed mood- most of the time
- Lack of energy- feeling tired all of the time
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Irritability, anger
- Pessimism and indifference (not caring about anything)
- Thoughts if death/suicide
How is depression different from just being SAD?
Depression is a strong mood involving sadness, despair, hopelessness that last for weeks or months. It interferes with ones daily living. They will feel tired, irritable and they may exhibit changes in their appetite. They usually believe they have no self-worth, and can also feel unloved. They might pull away from close ones and even pull away from activities they once enjoyed. Depression can be mild or severe. At its’ peak, depression can create feelings of despair and suicide is often contemplated at this stage.
People who have been extremely depressed for a period of time might get to a point when they start to think about hurting themselves. When depression gets to this point, it is a medical emergency, and an ADULT must be notified.